Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Tombstone Tuesday - Abby Frances Alden


I woke Sunday morning with the desire to go to the cemetery…that’s normal right?! Doesn’t everyone at some point in the week want to leisurely visit a cemetery?

My intention for going was to take pictures of family members’ headstone to add to Find a Grave and to also to explore some more since the last time I was there was for an actual funeral (don’t want you to think that I’m some weirdo who sunbathes at cemeteries because I’ve seen that and let me tell you, it is weird!)

So, I grabbed my dog and headed out to St. James Episcopal Cemetery in historic downtown Marietta. I took pictures of my grandparents and great-grandparents and a few distant cousins as well.

While exploring, I came across Abby Frances Alden.

The last name immediately got my attention and the fact that she was a bit secluded from those around her. So I snapped her picture and returned home to do some research.

Turns out, she’s my 1st cousin 4 times removed. She, like me, is a direct descendant from John Alden of the Mayflower – hence the last name!

Her mother, Alice Burrington Wight and my Great-Great-Great-Grandmother, Fanny Leonard Wight, were sisters and her father Charles Henry Alden is the Great-Great-Great-Grandson of John Alden from the Mayflower. If I’ve done my math correctly, it would appear that Abby’s parents were second cousins.

Unfortunately, this is not the first time I’ve come across this in my family. My mother jokes that this is why we bring in new blood like my grandmother and father.

This is about all of the information that I have so far on Abby. Hopefully, with time, I’ll be able to discover more about her and how she ended up in Marietta, GA.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...