Thursday, January 19, 2012

Thankful Thursday - Circumstance of Events

There are many things that I am thankful for but when I sit down and really dive deep into what matters most to me and what would make me an incredibly different person, I’d have to say I’m grateful for my Great-Aunt, Goti (technically, she’s my 1st cousin 2x removed but she was like a sister to my grandmother.)

Take this as you will but I would not be here if her father had not been killed in a German bomb shelter – that’s another story for another day. Honestly though, had he survived the war, there is absolutely no way that I would be here. The following events would not have happened:

1. Goti’s mother would not have married an American soldier, who adopted her and moved the family back to the US after the war was over.

2. Goti would not have met her future husband while they were both stationed in Alaska – ALASKA! and after a short long-distance relationship, he asked her to marry him!

3. Shortly after the wedding, Goti’s new husband, my Uncle John, would never have sponsored my Grandmother’s immigration over to the US and provided helpful information on her journey, “For the record, I am a woman.”

4. Lastly, had my grandmother never emigrated from Germany, she would have never met my Grandfather, who most of  his friends and family thought would never marry, she would have never fallen madly in love, married and later had my mother who, thankfully and  subsequently fell in love with my father, married and a few years later had me. :)

I’ve just now begun to see the effects of God’s wheels turning slowly but I would have to say that the earlier events definitely happened for a reason and there was a reason for them all.

Today I am most thankful for my fun, loving, and witty Great Aunt, Irmgard Fischer! 

Goti and my Grandmother

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...