Sunday, January 8, 2012

Become Who I Am Looking For Is Looking For

For 2012 my main focus, my main goal, is: 

To become the person I am looking for is looking for. 

Last summer, my pastor, Andy Stanley, did a series entitled, "The New Rules of Love, Sex, and Dating."  For the entire nine years that I have been attending Buckhead Church, this is the first time a series has stuck with me for this long!

In the first part of the series, Andy states that he has never come across a married couple who has "a marriage problem". What it is instead is that people with problems get married. These people believe the "Right Person Myth"--When I marry or meet the right person, everything will be alright. Instead, their single people problems carry over into their marriage. 
(You can click on the link above to hear Andy's more eloquent description). 

Towards the end of the message, Andy challenges single people to fix their single people problems before they marry. Instead of trying to find the "right person" to fix your problems, he states, you need to become the right person! Become the Person who are looking for is looking for! Get out of debt! Quick your bad habits! Fix your "daddy/mommy issues"! 

So, in becoming the person I am looking for is looking for, here are my 2012 goals for the year! 

1. I am looking for a strong, godly, Christian man. 
I am going to work on a having a daily, stronger, more personal relationship with my Lord and Savior! 
If you have not read, Heaven is For Real, you need to add it to your list ASAP.
This, according to the Colton Burpo, is what Jesus looks like.

2. I am looking for someone who is wise with their money. 
I am going to find financial peace! I am going to get out of debt and I am going to live a life of financial margin!

3. I am looking for someone who is successful in their career and takes pride in their work. 
I am going to take and pass the Series 7 exam by the end of April!

4. I am looking for an educated, sophisticated man. 
I am going to read a list of classic novels that I was supposed to read in h.s. and college or that I have always wanted to read. The first few include Pride and Prejudice, Great Expectations, Sense and Sensibility, and Emma. 

5. I am looking for a person who takes care of their physical bodies and health. 
I am going to become more active, starting with the JFBC Polar Bear Run at the end of the month and possibly begin rowing this summer and I am going to make more of an effort in keeping up appearances.
Yes, Kate Middleton is my inspiration. I have no problem admitting this. 

6. I am looking for a man who is kind, generous, and loving. 
I am going to donate either my time or money more to charities around the community on a quarterly basis. 

7. I am looking for someone who is generally neat and tidy. 
Ok, so this one is more so for me personally, I just want to keep up a daily routine of keeping a clean house. Put my shoes away instead of kicking them off and leaving them on the floor, go through and throw away mail as it comes in; all of the small things that eventually add up. 
8. I am looking for a man who has strong relationships with their family and friends. 
 I am going to further strength my relationships with my close friends by getting together more often with them and showing my family and friends how much they mean to me!


These are my resolutions goals, what are some of yours? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...