Friday, December 3, 2010

The Powers of Modern Technology

In my search to find my maternal great-grandfather, I decided to email the States Archive of Saarbruecken where I thought my great-grandfather might have been born. After sending the email, I religiously checked back for a response but there's nothing. Almost a month later, I had given up on hearing back from the Motherland when I received a package from the States Archive of Saarbruecken. I was like a kid on Christmas morning! I spent all day translating legal documents and trying to decipher the old style German.

What I have come up with so far is that my great-grandfather, Heinrich Wilhelm Otto Reuter, was in fact born in Saarbruecken in 1899 and passed away in his home state in 1986, only 4 years after my great-grandmother passed away.

I cannot begin to explain my level of excitement and intrigue that came with this package. I know have a beginning and an end! Now the easy part, figuring out everything else. Now to narrow down all of the Heinrich Reuter's from Germany.....

Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. love reading your findings :) I need to do some research for my mom's side. dad knows a TON regarding his lineage, momma Mel, not so much!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...